STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
In 2019, we introduced our exciting new STEM program from Prep (Foundation) to Year 6. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. At Lyndale Greens P.S., our STEM program focues on building the students' higher order think skills and problem solving abilities.
STEM provides students with the opportunity to be problem solvers, responsible risk takers and future global citizens who are effective and productive commnicators in the 21st Century.
Our STEM program teaches these fields through the use of robots and emerging technologies such as:
• coding - we use app-enabled robots to foster creativity through discovery and play, all while laying the foundation for computer science. Our program goes beyond code with collaborative STEM activities, nurturing students’ imaginations in ways no other education program can. Cross-platform apps are approachable for all skill levels, allowing us to reach as many minds as possible.
• mBot - mBot is an educational playmate for children learning to build and program, and an excellent educational aid for teachers in STEM lessons. mBot engages both student’s hands and brain, encouraging them to exercise their interdisciplinary abilities while allowing them to experience the endless fun of creation at the same time.
• BlueBot - This innovative Bluetooth robot can be controlled using an iPad or PC/Mac whereby we create a program on screen, send it remotely and see Blue-Bot perform the program right before our very eyes! With a clear shell, children can see inside Blue-Bot and understand which components perform which duties, for example, where is the power stored?
• Drones - This Parrot Mambo FPV Mini Drone comes with Parrot Cockpit glasses 2 so we can place your smartphone inside and see exactly what our drone sees as it’s flying. The drone supports 3 flying modes so you can work your way up as your experience grows, allowing us to capture impressive footage in a variety of different ways. The inbuilt camera has a wide, 120 degree field of view that you can use to record and stream HD video. We can also use Scratch™ blocks to program to drone to carry out the instructions we give it.
• Virtual Reality - Using VR goggles and smartphones, students can immerse themselves in a 360 degree environment to experience what it’s like to:
o be anywhere around the world,
o be a virtual passenger during an experience for example a car race and,
o learn in a new way